Welcome to Matteiru Scans Forums

Welcome to Matteiru Scans Forums, you must register before you can see all forums. Login to see our chat box! Check your spam box for our emails!
If you do not receive your verification email or have other issues with registration please email us at social{at}matteiruscans.com!

Photo

Rotating and Cropping Raws

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ren Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:42 PM

Ren

The one with all the scanners!

• Staff
  • 1,304 posts

Donator

Current mood: Bookworm

Intro

If you've tried Matteiru's recruitment test for editors and/or cleaners, you most probably encountered the part which requires you to straighten and crop a few pages of raw manga scans. Sounds very simple, huh? But do you know that only 1 out of 4 applicants does this part correctly? Yes, even the ones who excel at redrawing and leveling usually does poorly in this part of the test.

This tutorial will guide you through straightening and cropping manga raws. After scanning, this is the initial process on prepping manga so it is of great importance that you make sure you get this right.

The manga raws

Don't flame at your scanner if the scans they give you are crooked as hell because despite trying to scan the pages as straight as possible, it will come out crooked MOST OF THE TIME. It is an editor or a cleaner's duty to fix these. Below is a sample of raw manga scan (uncropped and unstraightened).

Sumika_Sumire.png

(fig.1.1) Pages from Sumika Sumire volume 1.

Click on the list of tutorials below to begin:

A. Straightening the Raws

Straightening the raws should be done BEFORE cropping. This involves rotating the raw scans. In this tutorial, we will be utilizing the Ruler tool P_Measure_Lg_N.png

B. Positioning with Guides

Guides help you position images or elements precisely. This tutorial will teach you a surefire way on how to make sure that your raws are indeed properly aligned.

C. Cropping

Cropping is the process of removing portions of an image. In this tutorial, we will be utilizing the Crop tool P_Crop_Lg_N.png

#2 Ren Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

Ren

• Staff
  • 1,304 posts

Donator

Straightening the Raws

Straightening the raws should be done BEFORE cropping. This involves rotating the raw scans. In this tutorial, we will be utilizing the ruler tool P_Measure_Lg_N.png

STEP 1: Select the Ruler tool.

The Ruler tool P_Measure_Lg_N.png helps you position images or elements precisely. The tool can be located through the Eyedropper toolP_Sampler_Lg_N.pngfound in the tools panel. Click and hold on the Eyedropper tool, then select the Ruler tool from the fly-out menu.

ruler_tool.gif

STEP 2: Click and drag along something that should be straight.

Look for something in your scan that is supposed to be straight, either horizontally or vertically, and with the Ruler Tool selected, click and drag along its edge. As you drag, you’ll see a thin gray line appearing between the start and end points. 

On the image below, we used the vertical lines on the left side of the page as reference point.

scan_01.png

IMPORTANT: Do not use the edges of the paper as reference points unless the page has no vertical or horizontal frames or lines! Even though the paper is straight, it doesn't mean the printed image is also straight. Misalignment is very common in printing. Other factors for misalignment also include warping of the paper (usually due to exposure to extreme temperatures such as using microwave to debind) and flaws in scanning (this is very common when you use sheet-feed rather than a flatbed scanner).

STEP 3: Straighten the Image

Once you’ve dragged a line across something in the image that should be straight, do the following:

CS4 and below: Go to Image > Rotate Canvas / Image Rotation > Arbitrary

rotate.png

CS5 and above: Click on the Straighten button in the Options Bar at the top of the screen

straighten_button.gif

(fig.2.5) The Straighten button is brand new in Photoshop CS5.

As soon as you click the button, Photoshop instantly straightens the image for you based on the angle of the line you just drew with the Ruler Tool. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

#3 Ren Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:46 PM

Ren

• Staff
  • 1,304 posts

Donator

Positioning with Guides

The quickest and surefire way to make sure that you have positioned and aligned objects properly is by drawing a line to nestle them against. You can do just that using Photoshop's nonprinting guides - vertical and horizontal lines you can place anywhere you like.

rulers.gif

STEP 1: Make sure the rulers are visible. Choose View > Rulers. 

STEP 2: To place a guide, drag from the horizontal or vertical ruler. A line will appear.

On the image below, see how we used guides to make sure if the scan was properly aligned both horizontally and vertically.

guide.png

#4 Ren Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

Ren

• Staff
  • 1,304 posts

Donator

Cropping

Cropping is the process of removing portions of an image. In this case, we will be removing the black areas and unwanted edges included in our raw manga scan. Cropping usually comes AFTER you've made sure your raws are properly straight. 

crop_1.png

STEP 1: Select the Crop tool P_Crop_Lg_N.png in the tools panel.

STEP 2: Drag over the part of the image you want to keep to create a marquee.

On the image below, the red area will be the part which will be trimmed.

crop_2.png

IMPORTANT: Do not overcrop. Some scans will have illustrations which reach towards the edges of the paper.

Try to save as much details as you can.

STEP 3 (optional): In the options bar, located at the upper corner of the window, you may either select Delete or Hide for the trimmed area. Select Hide to preserve the cropped area in the image file. You can make the hidden area visible by moving the image with the Move tool P_Move_Lg_N.png. Select Delete to discard the cropped area.

hide-crop-option.gif

NOTE: Make sure to unlock Background layer in order  to enable the Delete-Hide option.

STEP 4: To complete the crop, press Enter (Windows) or Return (Mac OS), click the Commit button P_Accept_Md_N.png in the options bar, or double-click inside the cropping marquee.

And you're done! Happy cropping.  :)

#5 Turtteloo5 Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:30 PM

Turtteloo5

Cleaner

• Rookie
  • 7 posts

Donator

Thank you so freaking much for this! I always made a small line to straighten. I never knew you could use the whole thing to do it with

Patiently awaiting the day NANA is updated....  :ph34r:

#6 Pandora Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

Pandora

Shoujo Master

• Staff
  • 96 posts

Current mood: Elated
This tutorial is definitely about me hahahaha Thanks Ren <3

#7 xynh Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

xynh

=D

• Staff
  • 182 posts

Current mood: Yee Haw

I was thinking the same about me hahaha. I've never really read any tutorials on rotating & cropping and didn't know the ruler tool existed xD (It's called measure tool in my PS version~) I've always pressed Crtl+A and the rotated it manually haha but this is easier!

Thanks Ren~

oh and also, I don't know why but I can't select 'Hide' when cropping. It is there, but it won't let me select it... o.O maybe my PS is just too old haha.

NINJJA! :ph34r:

#8 Ren Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:53 PM

Ren

• Staff
  • 1,304 posts

Donator

Thank you so freaking much for this! I always made a small line to straighten. I never knew you could use the whole thing to do it with

Glad this post helped.  ;) Hopefully, this new-found knowledge will make your life with Photoshop a lot easier, Turttleoo.

Pleasure, love.♥(*^3^)/~☆

I've always pressed Crtl+A and the rotated it manually haha but this is easier!

To tell you the truth, I'm actually fond of rotating the scans manually rather than using the ruler tool.  :D

oh and also, I don't know why but I can't select 'Hide' when cropping. It is there, but it won't let me select it... o.O maybe my PS is just too old haha.

Oh, in order to enable the Delete-Hide option, make sure that Background layer is unlocked. This applies to all versions of Photoshop. Apologies for not mentioning it. Just double-click on the layer, a box will appear, then just hit OK. This usually happens when there are no other layers in the file other than the original raw image file you opened using Photoshop.  ;)

image.png  

#9 Ira G.vut Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:48 AM

Ira G.vut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Current mood: None chosen
Building a whole new route plus bulldozing your way through various towns and cities isnt very expensive?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GUIDE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users